Monday, July 05, 2004

Last day with guests

I will be so glad to get my house back. In general, my guests are low maintenance, but it doesn't matter how low maintenance someone is, after 5 weeks, it's enough.

I try really hard to keep things in order around here. In general, it's hard for me to stay organized. It doesn't come easily. So, when I have others about mucking things up it makes it even harder. The kitchen is a prime example. They say they want to "help," that I've done too much. Fine. So, when they try to cook, they spend the next hour or so asking me questions every 5 minutes. They don't know where things are, they don't know how they work (our entire house is a technological mystery), and they can't reach things in the cabinets.

Oh, and then they want to "clean." Well, we have the Fisher & Paykel Dish Drawers. These are not your typcial dishwashers. They require some understanding to use correctly. My MIL will "load" them, and then leave them. She won't start them, and then forget to tell me. And, she loads them incorrectly. You can fit about twice as much in each one than she does. So, I've basically told her that if she wants to "help," she needs to watch the video for the dishwasher (which she won't do). Ok, so then she tries to handwash stuff. Well, she doesn't see very well, and so the stuff doesn't get clean, so I have to do it again anyway.

Oh, and these two have tremendous life experience. They've done wonderful things. Just because I understand how to search for and buy things on the Internet and run all the techie stuff in my house does not mean that I am better, smarter, or more together. I just means that I understand my house.

Right now I'm sitting upstairs hiding as they're preparing dinner. I've left my husband in charge of answering all questions. I'm tired of the confusion. I want my quiet house back.

No comments: